Hike | Baldwin Loop Trail | Sedona
This is a short, scenic hike that offers great views of Cathedral Rock and access to connecting trails. If you are in the mood for a classic Sedona hike packed with great views and a side trip to Oak Creek than this is your hike!
There are really three ways to access Baldwin Loop Trail and I give all three in the Map To Trailhead section but this particular narration starts at Verde Valley Road.
The Trailhead begins just south of the parking area on Verde Valley Rd. (across the street) and the trailhead is well marked. Right from the start you will see views of the red rocks and the iconic Cathedral Rock. Take Baldwin trail until you reach a junction that reads Crescent Moon trail. It is a gradual descent lowering you into the flats where Oak Creek meanders through. From this junction I suggest you take a quick detour and hang a left which heads down to the creek (which you can hear). Play around in the water and take a dip in the nice swimming hole. Once you are ready to resume, head back towards the junction where you detoured.
From here, continue on the Baldwin Loop Trail. You will begin to ascend out of the flats and toward Cathedral Rock. Here you will be able to see unique views of the "backside" of the formation and is great for taking photos. The loop also offers a connecting route to Templeton Trail. Staying on the loop will take you to your final destination which is where you started.
*Note: There is a trail that takes you to the road where you can hike back to the parking area or you can stay right and continue on the path until it meets Baldwin Trailhead.
- Length: 3.3 miles round trip
- Trailhead Elevation: 3,950 ft.
- Type of Hike: Loop
- Gain/Loss: +100 ft.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Rating: 7/10
- Solitude: Low
- Season: Year Round
- Kid Friendly: Yes
- Dog Friendly: Yes
- You need a Red Rock pass to park. The fee is $5 (as of 09/2015). Information here.
- Sedona is one of the largest tourist attractions in the state and is busy year 'round. Get to the trailhead early to beat crowds.
- Bring a hat, sunscreen, and other sun protecting gear. The trail is mostly exposed to the sun and Sedona can get really hot in the summer months.
- Definitely check out the swimming hole at Oak Creek.
- Great view of Cathedral Rock
- Many loops and detours
- Take a dip in Oak Creek
* Please remember to hike at your own risk. To learn more please refer to our Hiking Disclaimer.