Hike | Circumference Trail | Lookout Mountain
Circumference trail is a short, easy to moderate hike that is mainly used for hiking and trail running. This trail loops around Lookout Mountain and is located in the Phoenix Mountain Preserves.
- Length: 2.1 Miles RT
- Trail Type: Loop
- Elevation Gain/Loss: +298 ft.
- Difficulty: Easy/Moderate
- Kid Friendly: Yes
- Dog-Friendly: Yes
- Accessibility: Paved road to parking lot.
- Fee/Permit: None
- Hours: Sunrise to sunset
Getting started on this trail is very easy, there are markers placed frequently throughout that point you in the right direction. This is a fairly standard hike with a slight incline throughout, so nothing too difficult. There are a lot of loose rocks on this trail, but overall is well suited for all types and ages of hikers. With a steady pace this hike could be done within an hour or less. If you wanted to extend your hike and catch some more elevated views you could always head up to the summit of Lookout Mountain.
This trek offers beautiful desert scenery, but it definitely does not leave you feeling secluded in nature. About half the time you are walking right alongside a neighborhood and will get a clear view into multiple backyards. The best time to hike this would be early in the morning to ensure you snag a parking spot and beat the crowd.
Lookout Mountain is located in Northern Phoenix, just off highway 51. There is a small parking lot at the beginning of the trailhead.
- Stay hydrated! This trail doesn’t offer much shade, so make sure you bring enough water especially in the summer.
- Dogs must be kept on leashes.
- Wear proper footwear.
- Pack it in, pack it out. No one wants to see someone else’s trash while they’re trying to enjoy nature.
- There is no entrance fee. Yay!
* Please remember to hike at your own risk. To learn more please refer to our Hiking Disclaimer.