Hike | Papago Park | Phoenix
- Length: 0.1 miles round trip
- Trail Type: Out and Back
- Trailhead Elevation: 1,200 ft.
- Gain/Loss: +200 ft.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Kid Friendly: Yes
- Dog Friendly: Yes
Hole in the Rock is the most prominent feature of Papago Park and offers great views of the city below. Just 10 minutes from downtown Phoenix, this hike is a great way to get outside without getting too far from home.
It's hard to consider this trail a "hike" when it's only about an 800 ft. trail but it offers some great views none-the-less. The TH can be found from the parking lot directly below the massive bare red sandstone rock formations that make Papago Park so popular. Once parked there are two ways to get to the opening which is called the "chamber". The easier and I think more friendly way is to follow the path around the backside of the sandstone which leads to the hole. The other way is to climb the face of the sandstone but I think it's more or less frowned upon. Once there, enjoy the scenery and the views. Respect the land by following Leave No Trace Principles. Carving anything into the sandstone is illegal and stupid.
In the park there are several other trails, fishing, archery, golf, biking, and other outdoor fun. Additionally, The Phoenix Zoo and the Desert Botanical Garden are very close as well and bring in many tourists from all over the world. I believe both are worth a visit.
- Please follow Leave No Trace Principles by taking only pictures and leaving only footprints
- Try some other hikes in the park
- All of the trails in Papago park are very easy and wide. Most are also wheelchair accessible
- Dogs are okay as long as you leash them and pick up their waste
- Close to Phoenix
- Family Friendly
- Lots of easy, well maintained trails around the park